Friday, November 9, 2012

More Recent Cover Reveals/Critiques

Sorry for the radio silence, ladies and gents! Life has kicked me sorely in the ass, I'm 24,000 words deep into my NaNoWriMo novel (and the evil twin brother just got introduced; I've been waiting to write that scene for TWO YEARS!), and I got ahold of a few 2013 ARCs I was too impatient to not read now. Some of them were disappointments, sadly. Le sigh.

ANYWAY, I've seen a few new covers around lately and I've been posting them on my Facebook page, but I'll bring a few of them over here so you can get my opinion on them.

Gilt by Katherine Longshore (hardcover left; paperback redesign right)

GiltGilt


My verdict: Good choice! I hated the hardback's cover because it's not like I want to see into the endless tunnels of the girl's nose. I love the font and I'm glad they decided to keep it for the paperback. The new image is pretty steamy and it will catch someone's eye in the bookstore. Not a fantastic cover by any means, but MUCH better than the old one. On another note, I own this book and I'll eventually get to it. Eventually. Maybe.

Tarnish by Katherine Longshore


My verdict: Eh. There's nothing extraordinary about it. The font stands out less and this is a typical pretty-girl-in-a-pretty-dress cover. I can look at it without my eyes burning, but it's not especially arresting.

Mystic by Alyson Noel

Mystic (Soul Seekers, #3)

My verdict: A little underwhelming compared to the other two covers in the series. There's not a lot of consistency and it's turned into the typical pretty dress cover that chops off the model's head. Those poor headless models! The series is starting to grow on me like fungus, so I think I'll keep reading.

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen


My verdict: Maybe I'm weird, but I love what they do with her name on the new covers. They mix colors and it's so preeeeeetty and please excuse me, I'm being distracted by the pink. Anyway, I like this cover a little, but it's not fantastic. Great use of colors and it's a lovely image, but it's not really grabbing. Maybe I'm just not used to the new style of her covers yet. She had one style for so long and they changed everything all of a sudden. It bugs me. Might read this one, might not. I liked the two Dessen books I read, but I don't get the hype.

Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend by Louise Rozett

Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend (Confessions, #2)

My verdict: I like it! She's got a great pose, what little I can see of her facial expression is perfect, and I love the way she's clutching the flower. I thought she was wearing a veil at first, but then I realized that's just an effect on the top of the page, not a veil. Harlequin Teen can produce some lovely covers when they try.

There are plenty of new covers out there and I'll try to be more on top of cover reveals in the future, though college life might keep me from that. Keep an eye on my Facebook page because I'll be posting them there most of the time!