Saturday, October 6, 2012

Cover Critique: Recent Reveals

I'm awful with keeping up with cover reveals, so I won't get to do this often, but there are a few I've seen lately that give me something to talk about. I also enjoy critiquing covers, so here we go!

Ink (The Paper Gods, #1)
Ink
by Amanda Sun
The Paper Gods #1
June 25, 2013 (Harlequin Teen)
384 pages (paperback)

I did a survey a while back that showed me some concept art they were considering for this novel's cover and the final product has a lot of similarities to how I saw! The image itself is very delicate and pretty. I love delicate and pretty covers, and this one's art would certainly catch my eye in a bookstore or online.

My problems with the cover are with the title font and author name. The author's name seems thrown in as if someone forgot about it until the last minute. The harsh black shapes making up the title break up the delicate feel the cover has going. Some are going to love that disharmony and how it represents a hint of something darker within the story, but I don't care for it.

I have small worries concerning whitewashing, but so little is known about the book right now that they're not worth explaining.

Neverfall (Everneath, #1.5) 
Neverfall
by Brodi Ashton
Everneath #1.5
January 2013 (HarperCollins)
ebook exclusive 

I like Neverfall's cover and I'm looking forward to reading in Cole's point of view, but I'm a little disappointed too. It's nothing more than the cover of Everbound with a darker background and the model in silhouette. That's so little effort! The cover for Tahereh Mafi's Destroy Me novella (#1.5 in the Shatter Me series) works better because it was a cover in its own right and not just a remix of the exact same image another cover in the series has.






Tidal
by Amanda Hocking
Watersong #3
2013 (St. Martin's Griffin)
Hardcover

I was meh on the first cover and okay with the second cover, but this third one doesn't work for me at all. Maybe the tattoo on the guy's back is significant, but that tree freaks me out. Something about the way the light reflects on the models feels wrong.

Actually, I think that's the word for this cover: wrong, in the sense that it all appears too fake. The other covers looked at least a little bit natural, but this one doesn't have that vibe going on.




 

The Beautiful and the Cursed
by Page Morgan
The Dispossessed #1
2013 (Delacorte Press)
Hardcover

I love the use of colors and the font they used for the title. It's not absolutely amazing, but it's eye-catching and pretty and everything one could ask a cover to be. You can even tell where it's set. Then again, any books set in Paris make an effort to tell you they're set in Paris by including the Eiffel Tower.

The only problem I have is the model's pose. Pairing a title like The Beautiful and the Cursed with a pose that says "Oh, woe is me!" is like dangling meat to the snarky cover-loving alligators. Many jokes about "Oh, how horrible, I'm beautiful and cursed with it!" will be made about this cover.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3ViLjngs9G4/UG75MqvTSGI/AAAAAAAAFzs/_y8rgdes2Ls/s1600/Phoenix+(Black+City+%232).jpg


Phoenix
by Elizabeth Richards
Black City #2
June 2013 (G.P. Putnam Son's BFYR)
Hardcover 

I really like the cover for Black City, book one in this series, and its exploding rose, but I'm less of a fan of this cover. I see clear parallels in the cover styles--things being destroyed in various ways and in a very dynamic matter--but where the gray-white cover of Black City emphasized the rose and made the explosion even more dramatic, the sepia tone of Phoenix's cover robs the burning feather of some of its oomph.