Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Assassin and the Empire by Sarah J. Maas

Title: The Assassin and the Empire
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Release Date: July 20, 2012
Pages: ebook exclusive
How I Got the Book: Bought it.
Purchase/Pre-order: Amazon
Promotional Materials and More: author website | my other Throne of Glass reviews

The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.4)Celaena Sardothien is the assassin with everything: a place to call her own, the love of handsome Sam, and, best of all, freedom. Yet, she won’t be truly free until she is far away from her old master, Arobynn Hamel; Celaena must take one last daring assignment that will liberate her forever. But having it all, means you have a lot to lose . . .

This fourth fantastic e-novella gives readers an inside look at the characters who appear in the full-length novel Throne of Glass. Don’t miss out!

Review:


Now that's better.

While reading the first three novellas, I found myself liking each one less than the one before until I outright hated the third one. With The Assassin and the Empire, it makes improvements in leaps and bounds and creates the set-up for Maas's hyped-up debut novel.

Celaena realizing exactly how spoiled and entitled she is after she loses access to the endless supply of money she had while still under Arobynn's command was great, and I liked how the struggles she and Sam had to endure now that they were free were portrayed. I originally disliked they became lovers, but after seeing the imperfect yet likable way they worked together as a couple, I finally got won over by it. The twisted, abusive relationship between Celaena and her father figure/mentor Arobynn also showed that a relationship doesn't have to be romantic for it to be abusive and/or unhealthy. Well-written, that part was.

In a problem that has occurred multiple times throughout the novellas, there is a mystery that is no mystery at all because it's too easy to figure out. The big reveal of whodunnit is supposed to have some kind of impact, but when we see it coming a mile away, it loses that punch. Speaking of thing that lack punch, the most important event of the novella (which I can't detail because it spoils too much) that leads Celaena to make the decisions that seal her fate and put her in the Endovier salt mines she is plucked out of at the beginning of Throne of Glass left me surprisingly disinterested. It certainly impacts Celaena, but it doesn't make me feel anything at all.

I'm thinking I should give this three stars, but I'm feeling generous right now because this was such an improvement on the other novellas (and also on some of my recent reads, but that's another story altogether) that I'll round it up.

4 stars!


What am I reading next?: Two and Twenty Dark Tales edited by Georgina McBride and Michelle Zink

8 comments:

  1. I REALLY want to read this! I read the first three and the preview chapter of ToG, and I was really curious to see what happened to her in this one...
    It's also nice to hear that it's significantly better than the first three :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so it gets better, and there is some light at the ending of the tunnel. I read your other reviews and it was looking grim. Thanks for sharing your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you finally liked one of the novellas. I am super excited to read your review of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So there is light at the end of the tunnel! I was beginning to loose hope for these novellas! 4 stars is generous indeed, just hope it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear this one is better! I haven't gotten around to it because it wasn't out yet when I was reading them, but this just reminded me to go buy and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the only one that I don't own and it happens to be better than all the rest? Why can't life be fair?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 4 stars? Now I'm intrigued. Too bad I don't have this last novella.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have bought all of these novellas but I am waiting to read them until Throne Of Glass is released so that I can just read them all together! I was trying to read your reviews of the other three The Assassin And The... but none of them could be found:(

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what others have to say about books and it makes me feel less like I'm talking to an empty auditorium, so comment away. Thank you for reading my blog post!