Saturday, July 14, 2012

Stacking the Shelves (2), aka HOLY HELL LOTSA BOOKS

Stacking The Shelves, hosted by Tynga's Reviews, is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!

 So... I went on a little spree. By little, I mean "over 24 books in two weeks". Oops. There go my chances of getting all my unread print books read before I move next month.


Graffiti MoonFor Darkness Shows the StarsFated (Soul Seekers, #1)GiltSweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1) The TemptationOppression (Children of the Gods, #1)Shadows (Lux, #0.5)Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)Obsidian (Lux, #1)Obernewtyn (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1)

Bought:

Shut Out by Kody Keplinger
  • I've been waiting ages for a copy to show up at the used bookstore and one finally did! I snatched it up and hopefully, I'll be reading it soon.
 Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott
  • This one is really short, but I know it's going to be a tough read because of the subject matter. Poor girl...
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
  • Everyone says it's sad and you know what? I feel like reading a tear-jerker. Books about the Holocaust are always so powerful.
Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King
  • One of my friends recommended it to me and it sounds very interesting. I liked the hardcover's cover more, though. The lighter with smoke coming from it was more of an eye-catcher than the girl walking into the woods.
Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
  • I got the chance to review this when it was on NetGalley last year, but now I have a finished copy of my own and I iz happy. My review
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
  • I really enjoyed her killer unicorn series and this one sounds like a lot of fun too! I've never read Persuasion (which this book is a sort of retelling of), but I'm sure I'll get by.
Fated by Alyson Noel
  • I hated her Evermore series, but I can give this one a fair shot. (To be honest, the dress on the cover of its sequel Echo hypnotized me and that's how I ended up with this book. I hate that it's so thick, though. 450 pages of Alyson Noel? Um, that might be hard.)
Gilt by Katherine Longshore
  • Impulse, pure and simple. No other reason I got it.
Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
  • My best friend loved it, so why not? (Then again, as similar as the BFF's tastes are to mine sometimes, we can also differ wildly on books, and I've heard there might be some implicit slut shaming. If there is, this is not going to go well.)
The Temptation by Alisa Valdes
  • I actually don't know much about this one. I saw it, had a moment of "Fuck it, let's go for it", and ended up with this book. Me and my impulsive buys! Maybe this will be one of the few times my impulse buys are actually good ones.
Oppression by Jessica Thierren
  • I've heard very little about this book and what little I've heard isn't great, but I'll give it a try.
Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout
  • I've taken to reading the short stories and prequels and things authors put out in their series, so when I grabbed Obsidian, I grabbed this one too.
Wings of the Wicked by Courtney Allison Moulton
  • I wasn't going to originally, but one of my hard-to-impress friends is currently being wowed by it and how much better it is than Angelfire. That led to me picking this one up.
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
  • When the price was rediced to $5.99 on Amazon (and Barnes and Noble too, if I remember correctly), how could I resist?
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
  • Apparently, the author came to my town recently for the Daemon Invasion tour and I missed it. I didn't even know it was happening! ARGH! It seems like most of my other friends have read this, so it's time to jump on the bandwagon and give it a shot.
Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody
  • I hoped this series would show up in one of the two bookstores I frequent, but they never did. I finally broke down and got an ebook of the first book instead. Alyzon Whitestarr, another novel of Carmody's, was such a fun read that I wanted to try the fantasy series that she's been working on for years.
Amazon Vine:

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
  • Seriously, this book was fantastic. You don't have a copy? Go get one! My review
Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer
  • I read the prologue for this one and it really annoyed me (too infodumpy and a few other niggles), but I can't judge a book by its prologue! Fingers crossed it will turn out to be good after all.
Received in Swaps with Other Bloggers:

Cold Fury by T.M. Goeglein
  • This one sounds awesome, but I've heard mixed things.
Auracle by Gina Rosati
  • Pretty cover... -drools- I'm sorry, what?
Heaven by Alexandra Adornetto
  • Just don't say anything. I'm reading this to finish off the series and get back my peace of mind.
Received for Review:

Saving June by Hannah Harrington
  • I'm halfway through this one and I'm really enjoying it. Harlequin Teen books often tend to be misses for me, so I'm happy to see a book that gives me hope the publisher will put out more books I'll enjoy!
Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
  • Just after I got approved for this on NetGalley, I got a physical copy. Weird! I keep hearing good things, so I'll be getting to it very soon.

Borrowed from a friend:

The Blessed by Tonya Hurley
  • My best friend happens to work in a bookstore and this was the only YA ARC the store had. We're both voracious YA readers, so she picked it up and loaned it to me. It was... not good. My review will post September 18th.

12 comments:

  1. Wow... that is one major book haul there.

    I've got "Between Shades of Grey" on my Wish List.

    Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that is a lot of books! I really want to read Obsidian, I've heard so many glowing things about it and I love the guy on the cover! I've read Between Shades of Gray and it was one of the saddest books I have ever read but I enjoyed it all the same.

    Our STS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow awesome haul this week!! I really want to read Sweet Evil! :)
    My StS
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have received tons of awesome books!!

    I hope they are all good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many books! I don't even know where to start other than I am SO jealous of Auracle! That one looks extremely awesome! I hope you enjoy!

    Check out my Stacking the Shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so I'm really, REALLY interested to see what you think of Fated. I thought it was pretty decent. Aside from the cheesy as hell romance.

    I really like how you write a little opinion after each book you got. That's a really fun idea. A lot of these books are on my list. And this is a HUGE haul. Holy crap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW...your book hauls look like mine.
    Can't show you mine til tomorrow though!
    I am a new follower to your site via GFC.
    Visit me here: WTF Are You Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowie! I adore all the books you got this week! I'm jealous of Seraphina, For Darkness Shows the Stars, and Sweet Evil! Enjoy all your great books. :)

    My Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent haul, dude. I can't wait to start "The Blessed", myself. Hope you enjoy "Heaven" as much as I did. ;)

    My StS this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot wait to read Seraphina! I love your haul! I'm so jealous of all your books!

    Letterbox Love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished Sweet Evil and I loved it!!! Under the Never Sky is amazing to it has been my favorite read so far this year!!!! The books look great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there. I'm a long-time reader and a first-time commenter. I like your eclectic load of books this time around. Some of them I've read and some of them (like Seraphina and Shut Out) I'm still meaning to read.

    Just a heads-up about some of these books. Between Shades of Gray isn't about the Holocaust per se, but about crimes against humanity committed by Stalin, which tend to get overlooked regarding WWII. It's definitely a powerful book, and I absolutely loved it (it does a good job at using a more personal point of view to express the atrocities committed).

    I'd also like to warn you about the slut-shaming in Please Ignore Vera Dietz. The term "slut" is used a lot, and always in a negative or villainous light.

    But other than that point, good luck with your load and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what others have to say about books and it makes me feel less like I'm talking to an empty auditorium, so comment away. Thank you for reading my blog post!