Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (26)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases we're eagerly anticipating.

Honestly, I don't like this series very much. I was okay with Shatter Me when I first read it, but as time passed, I liked it less and less. I'm sticking around for two reasons: Warner (because HE IS THE ONLY DAMN CHARACTER IN THIS SERIES I CAN STAND; Juliette and Adam annoy me while Warner's more interesting) and fake covers I come up with based on the titles.

That latter seems like a silly reason to keep reading, but I love it. For Shatter Me, I had two core ideas. One had various pieces of a girl reflected in the pieces of a broken hand mirror on the floor (you see her head in one shard, her legs in another, etc.) and the title/author name are spelled out either in the mirror shards along with the girl or outside the shards. The other idea kept with the broken mirror shards, but the girl is outside them now. She's curled up miserably in the corner of her cell, but you can't see her clearly because the shot is more focused on the mirror shards than her.

Seriously, if I could get together the stock photos to make a fake cover or draw more than just stick figures, I would totally do it and post them for everyone to see. Alas, I haven't been able to find the right stock photos yet. Maybe soon. I've got ideas for Unravel Me too, but Destroy Me is giving me a real challenge. Challenge accepted!

Destroy Me
by Tahereh Mafi
October 2, 2012
150 pages (ebook exclusive)


Perfect for the fans of Shatter Me who are desperately awaiting the release of Unravel Me, this novella-length digital original will bridge the gap between these two novels from the perspective of the villain we all love to hate, Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .

Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.

Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me, Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

26 comments:

  1. I have Shatter Me sitting here and I really do need to sit down and read it because it looks really interesting. This looks like one more good reason to do that. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a fan of Warner as he severely annoyed me during the first book, but I wasn't exactly a fan of Adam OR Juliette either (which became a bit of a problem as I started having 'detachment problems' while re-reading the book). I think I will stick around for the sequels though, as I do like the author's writing style, but some of those eyes kind of creep me out.

    Nicole @ Teenage Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've seen this around and thought it was the sequel proper. Now I see that it's about Warner and I'm in-he was my favorite character from the first book exactly because he's loaded with charisma!

    -Bookworm1858

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like Warner as a person but his character was so interesting to me at the same time. I was always curious to whether there was more to him and I cannot wait to read this. That cover is beautiful. Awesome pick!

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want this now! Despite his very erratic behavior and, well, violent tendencies, I still liked Warner far more than I liked Adam. And I will definitely read this one! Great pick :)

    Check out my WoW picks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just picked up Unravel Me at ala this weekend. Love T. Mafi's writing!

    We're talking about upcoming sequels in our WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O this is a great choice! And I love that cover- I think it is better than both Unravel Me and Shatter Me. Have to admit, I am Team Warner so I am really excited for this one.

    My WoW

    Teresa - new follower

    ReplyDelete
  8. From what I can gather she can't write the full sequel fast enough so they're dragging this out to keep people's interest!

    ✪✩ComaCalm's Corner✩✪

    ReplyDelete
  9. I freaking love this cover! I still need to read book 1!

    My WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cover ideas are amazing, they sound really good! Something must be wrong with me because every time I see a male character who is "obsessed" with a female character, my response is: aaaaaw! XD Thanks for sharing! I'm a new follower!
    My WoW post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Paige, interesting pick :D **New Follower**
    I haven't read book 1 but will query it now.
    www.bookishtimes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, what a great post. I totally understand how one can keep reading even if it is a train wreck. I'll have to check out Shatter Me first and see what happens.

    Come see my WoW!
    http://cahreviews.blogspot.com
    Christina @ Ensconced in YA

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cannot wait to read from Warner's POV! I love a hot, evil guy. And I always hope I can change them. :P

    Here’s my WoW post. Happy Wednesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still need to get a copy of Shatter Me!

    Our WoW is at Book Sake. –Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved Shatter Me, so I'm definitely excited for the release of this novella ! :) Plus, it's told in the POV of Warner, which makes me even more excited. :P

    Great choice !

    My WoW
    http://nicksbookblog93.blogspot.com/2012/06/waiting-on-wednesday-24-that-time-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. While not my absolute favorite book, Shatter Me was definitely good enough that I can't wait for the sequels. I look forward to reading Destroy Me to look more into the character, Warner. And I must say: The cover redesigns are TO DIE FOR. I wonder if Shatter Me will receive a hardcover re-release with the new cover? Doubt it, but one can hope!

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I haven't read Shatter Me....maybe I'll avoid it if there's only one worthwhile character and the story doesn't sit well! Maybe I'll end up picking grabbing it from the library and giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read the first book yet, but I love these new covers! They're so pretty.

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  19. I still havn't read Shatter Me, something put me off but I can't remember what now. I love the new covers though. Love the blog! I followed on GFC.

    my WOW

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm in love with the new cover concepts! BRO, THEY ARE JUST SO PRETTY. And what you mean Warner is the only character you can stand?! *hurt gasp* Juliet is so broken and beautiful and Adam is so loving and sexy, WHAT COULD BE WRONG ABOUT THEM? No matter, Warner is a pretty badass twisted foe. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM STRUT HIS FOENESS IN DESTROY ME *dances*

    ReplyDelete
  21. A great cover and choice.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/06/waiting-on-wednesday_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read the first book, but I'm planning on doing it. I like the new cover more :)

    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.nl/2012/06/waiting-on-wednesday-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Most def. one of my most anticipated reads coming up! I loved Shatter Me so much, and I can't wait to devour this one too. Thanks for sharing!

    MaryAnn@ Chapter by Chapter
    Our WoW

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like the new eye covers. They're way better than the frumpy dress from the first book. I've already told myself I'm not going to read Unravel Me, but I'm definitely interested in Warner's story, just because I want to know if he's actually a psychopath or not. And he has way more flavor than Juliette and Adam.

    Sophie @ The Dreaming Reader

    ReplyDelete
  25. Destroy me sounds really interesting thanks for sharing click on my name to see my WOW.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what others have to say about books and it makes me feel less like I'm talking to an empty auditorium, so comment away. Thank you for reading my blog post!