Saturday, June 30, 2012

Stacking the Shelves (1)

Stacking The Shelves, hosted by Tynga's Reviews, is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!

I've had a very shiny week in books! I'm sad to see one book go and I'm unhappy to see a different book enter my collection, but that's what happens sometimes.


 
Bought:

Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe
  • Here's hoping this ghost story will rock me! I've heard things about the heroine that could make the book go either way for me.
Silksinger by Laini Taylor
  •  I'm regretting this because as much as I love Laini Taylor, I'm reading Blackbringer (which Silksinger is the sequel to) and I am not impressed. At all.
Reality Bites Back: The Troubling Truth about Guilty Pleasure TV by Jennifer L. Pozner
  • Sometimes, I need a break from YA for nonfiction that will enable me to better examine YA. I've read the introduction and one chapter (a chapter all about the misogyny, mixed messages, and humiliation inherent in shows like The Bachelor) and what I've already learned has made me want to write an analytical article about a recent YA release pitched as The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games (and this unfortunately means reading said book). What this book is saying is about media needing to have social responsibility applicable to all media, not just reality TV.

Amazon Vine:

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
  • I'm reading this solely because one of my friends gave it five stars. It better be good or she loses a finger! It's the perfect way to punish someone who hypes up a book too much: chopping off the finger they were poking you with as they said "Read it!"
Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff
  • The reason it's not pictured with the rest of my books is because it's packed up and ready to be shipped to another blogger I'm swapping books with. Fortunately, I had another photo of it. I'm sad to see the book go, but that's alright; I'm going to pre-order a finished copy because I really liked the book.

Won in a HarperCollins giveaway:

A Want So Wicked by Suzanne Young
  • Funnily enough, I haven't read the first book, A Need So Beautiful. I need to do that ASAP. Either way, thank you, HarperCollins!

Borrowed from a friend:

The Selection by Kiera Cass
  • I'd really rather not do this because the reviewer her agent called a bitch (while Cass stood by and said nothing about it) is my friend, but there are things you do sometimes in the name of an article you feel you have to write. Like how my grandmother once had to investigate a burning marijuana field for a newspaper article and came home high as a kite. At least the author won't be profiting off my copy! I'm borrowing it from a friend (who also got her copy for free) the next time I see her.

10 comments:

  1. Ahh, Stormdancer looks so good!! I'm jealous :)

    ~Ali
    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous of Stormdancer and Something Strange and Deadly! They look AMAZING! Enjoy them!

    Check out my Stacking the Shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Haul! I'm joining Ali and Eileen in the I'm so jealous of Stormdancer!

    Mine:
    http://gizmosreviews.blogspot.com/2012/06/stacking-shelves-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I had no idea that Kiera Cass's agent called a reviewer a bitch! That's horrible :/ And it's too bad because I absolutely adored The Selection.

    You got some great books this ween and I hope you enjoy them. :)

    ♥ My Stacking the Shelves ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested in that Reality Bites Back-inspired article of yours whenever it comes out purely because I have somewhat conflicting feelings about those same topics (namely, media responsibility). I'm pro one aspect of it and anti another, so I'd love so see what you can make of the mess.

    And Give Up the Ghost looks interesting. Gotta love a good ghost story. :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jealous of Stormdancer, It looks awesome!

    Letterbox Love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am jealous of Selection, it looks and sounds amazing!
    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great set! So cool that you got Stormdancer. I can't wait to read it!
    My Bookish Recap

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stormdancer looks really, really good! And I liked Give up the Ghost; it was a bit different from most books of the genre. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something strange & deadly looks great! :D And I like the cover from Stormdancer. Happy reading!

    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.nl/2012/07/showcase-sunday-6-netgalley.html

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what others have to say about books and it makes me feel less like I'm talking to an empty auditorium, so comment away. Thank you for reading my blog post!