Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (22)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases we're eagerly anticipating.

Funny story with this book. I hardly cared about its existence at first, but then it went up on NetGalley and one of my friends fell in love with it. Then I was like EEEEEEEEEE and decided to plan a month-long event around this book and its four prequel novellas that may or may not include a giveaway--all that because I was so sure I would love it. I've read the first two novellas and I am not impressed. Plans will go on, but I'm less enthusiastic about it than I was before. Here's hoping the next two novellas and the novel itself will bring me back!

Throne of Glass
by Sarah J. Maas
August 7, 2012
416 pages (hardcover) 

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men—thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the kings council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she’ll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she’s bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it’s the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.

18 comments:

  1. Oh your story! It was exactly the same with me haha! Well, except for the novella's part. But oh my gosh, I didn't think much of this before it started appearing EVERYWHERE around the blogosphere... Now I'm DYING to read it! Fantastic pick! :)

    Kim @ The Paper Planes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has been everywhere! I blame the GoT comparison and its "rise from the Internet trenches" backstory. Like Carrier of the Mark and Sweet Evil, those two books came out of Inkpop, Throne of Glass built itself a fanbase to support it before it was even published. I can't count the number of Goodreads reviews saying they loved reading it on Fictionpress!

      Delete
  2. Where do I get the novellas? I can't seem to find them. But still I am very excited for this book! Everyone's been saying it's like Game of Thrones for teens and since I love GoT I am so giving this book a try! Great pick:)

    Check out our WoW picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find them on Amazon and Barnes and Noble, but they're ebook exclusives. I haven't read GoT because I know it isn't going to be a book I'll like, but I'm hoping Throne of Glass will rock! The first two novellas certainly haven't. :( Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I've been seeing this in a lot of book blogs lately. It sounds very interesting! :)

    Pam @ jelly loves books

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really great. Can't wait for this one. :D

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Throne of Glass! Seriously! SO excited for that. Great pick! :D

    Drop by my WoW?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw this around a lot also, sounds great.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited for this one too! I've heard comparisons in quality to Graceling, which is one of my all-time favorites! Great choice!

    Check out my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. New Follower. I am adding this book on my TBR today. :-)
    --Jenese

    http://readersconfession.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw Thrones of Glass on Netgalley! Looks good :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    The Muggle
    Giveaways and Kindle Deals

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen this one so many times in blogland, I honestly can't wait to read it myself :D

    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, I didn't know about the novellas. Maybe I'll steer clear of them and just stick with the book. I love this one and featured it myself a few weeks ago :-) Great pick!

    My WoW: http://www.blookgirl.com/book-blog/waiting-on-wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea, though reading one of the novellas might save you some money in the long run. The novellas are only 99 cents each and if you don't like the author's style, the money you would have bought Throne of Glass with can buy another book instead.

      Delete
  12. This looks so good! I haven't heard of this before but the premise and cover are both great!!!! Thanks for sharing :) Too bad you did not love the first two...hopefully the rest will be better!!!

    BTW love your blog :) Following!!!!!!

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! Hopefully you like this one. I do that too when my friends recommend me a book. It's so sad when you don't feel the same. Still, this one sounds interesting!

    New follower :)

    Alyssa
    Reader's Refuge

    ReplyDelete
  14. :$ Eek. I hope it's good. I got accepted on NetGalley. Maybe I'll steer clear of the novellas?

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds really good! Might have to give it a try! ~dixie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what others have to say about books and it makes me feel less like I'm talking to an empty auditorium, so comment away. Thank you for reading my blog post!