Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (13)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases we're eagerly anticipating.

Most of the time, angel books and I do not get along. I don't know what it is, but I rarely like them. Then along came Unearthly during the course of my H.Y.P.E. Project (which is so terribly out of date now with hyped books and yet I know I don't have the time/money to adjust it and read more current books) and I fell in love with it. Hallowed is yet another 2012 novel that comes out near my birthday, so yet another one I can point people to as something to give me a a gift!

(And it makes me so sad the publisher won't give me access to it through NetGalley. I guess they don't like me because of negative reviews I've given to some of their titles, such as Starcrossed. Oh well. I'm not going to turn into one of those bloggers who thinks they're entitled to an ARC, so I'll be patient. But that doesn't mean I'll stop requesting. Oh, no.)

Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)Hallowed
by Cynthia Hand
January 17, 2011
416 pages (hardback)

For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

Described by Richelle Mead as “utterly captivating,” Unearthly received outstanding reviews, garnered accolades from New York Times bestselling authors, and was named an Indie Next Pick. In this heart-wrenching sequel, Cynthia Hand expertly captures the all-consuming joy of first love—and the agony of loss. This beautifully woven tale will appeal to fans of Lauren Kate, Becca Fitzpatrick, and Aprilynne Pike.

(Yes, it is I who crossed that out. That kind of comparison will scare off readers, not bring them in. Trust me, this series is nothing like those books; it's far better than any of them.)

15 comments:

  1. I have to get into this series, it sounds interesting. I haven't read much about angels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to start this series. Everybody has so many good things to say about it.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard great things about Unearthly but haven't had the chance to read it yet. Just the same, I hope that you enjoy this when it releases. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HALLOWED all the way! I love the cover! This book sounds very intriguing!!! Thank you soooo much for sharing it!! Great choice!!!

    Your blog looks pretty!

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really want this book, here's mine
    http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com/2011/11/waiting-on-wednesday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. OoOo great pick, I've heard some great things about it. It was my pick a week or go. Here is My WoW if you'd like to check it out!
    -Shellie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Unearthly and I am so excited for this to come out! Great pick :)

    Check out my WoW picks for this week

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't read the first book yet but I really want to! It sounds really awesome. :) Great pick.

    Pam @ jellylovesbooks

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I haven't read Unearthly, but I really want to read this!
    Good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Unearthly, so I can't wait to Dive into Hallowed. Great pick. I think you can get it at NetGalley.

    Grace
    Livre De Amour-Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand completely where you're coming from with the angel books. I feel the same way about vampires. Everything seems so cliche.

    I didn't care for Starcrossed either. Well, mixed feelings actually. Too Twilight-ish.

    New follower from WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to read this since I loved Unearthly sooo much. Hope this one is just as good. (Crossing my fingers for you that HarperCollins will approve your requests!)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am dying to read this book!! I've finished Unearthy last week, so I can't wait to see what will happen next!

    nea barabea
    [My Life Is a Fairytale That Will Never End.]

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what others have to say about books and it makes me feel less like I'm talking to an empty auditorium, so comment away. Thank you for reading my blog post!